Friday, July 17, 2009

Updates

It's been such a long time since I've written anything...

I want to explain a little.

I've had a lot on my mind with my health...I was dealing with almost daily heartburn, nausea and vomiting, and frequent diarrhea. It was really starting to take a toll on my mental and emotional well being. During one particularly bad spell, my mom finally talked me into seeing a G.I., the one that she saw when she had a tear in her stomach, to see if there was anything actually wrong. I had to call my doctor to get a referral, just for my insurance to cover the visit, then I had to call and make an appointment. It took nearly a month for them to get me in.

I was so afraid of him just telling me what I've heard before, not really listening to what I had to say, and telling me that I'm fine and to get over it...the last time I heard all of that, when I finally got a doctor to listen to me, they diagnosed me with PCOS, so I was slightly vindicated in knowing I was right and the others were wrong; However, I was still afraid of hearing that stuff over again for different reasons.

When I did finally get to see the G.I., he did a quick visit, and then left me and Roger in the room for over an hour. I finally got tired of waiting, left the room and asked the nurse what was going on. She left to ask him what was going on, came back and told me that he was done with me, but didn't tell her, so she didn't know we were ready to go...Great first impression, right? They gave me a medication to try out, and made appointments for upper (endoscopy) and lower (colonoscopy) scopes.

Almost a month later, my appointments were around the corner, and I was totally stressed out and actually scared. It's a minor operation, and I hadn't been put under like that since my tonsils when I was like 4.

So! Up to Wednesday: I had to start a clear liquid diet, with no red dyes. I tell you what...you get real sick of jello when that's pretty much all you can eat! I digress. Starting at 7pm I had to drink 1 Liter of a medication called Moviprep 8 ounces at a time, every 15-20 minutes. It's like a salty version of Pedalyte, and if you've never had that, or don't remember what it tastes like, this Moviprep stuff was sweet and salty with a lemony-like aftertaste, and it was slightly thicker than water. *gags thinking about it* Anywho, it really clears you out. But, if that's not bad enough, 5 hours before the operation/procedure you have to do it all over again! Another Liter, 8 ounces at a time, every 15-20 minutes.

My appointment was scheduled for 10:30am on Thursday, but we had to be there at 9:30am, so I was up at 4:30am drinking the vile stuff again. At this point, I was already cleared out, so I'm just basically flushing the Moviprep straight through. I get checked in and have to wait for about an hour and a half before they take me back, get me changed into the beautiful hospital gown, sit me in a bed, and string me up to an IV with fluids. When they took my blood pressure it was 90-something over 60, which is really low for me, so she gave me some sugar too I think.

Anywho...I sat there, in that bed, by myself until 1pm. They got me prepped and ready by putting me on oxygen and hooking me up to the heart and blood pressure monitor. Last thing I remember is them having me turn on my left side at about 1:30pm and the nurse putting 2 needles into my IV. I woke up at about 3 or 3:30 and my stomach hurting really bad. I was crying and telling them I had to go to the bathroom. They told me I had to wait at least 30 mins before I could go to the bathroom or use a bedpan...I definitely didn't want that, but I thought I was going to pee on myself, on top of being in horrible pain. They were telling me that the pain was the gas that they pumped into the area, and once I pass the gas I'd be fine. I remember trying to pass it, but nothing was moving except my waining ability to hold my bladder in check. They finally let me get up and go to the bathroom, where I finally went pee, and by moving around and getting upright I think allowed me to pass a little of the pressure on my hurting stomach. I think I changed in there too, but I don't really remember much from then. I do remember a few bits and pieces from the procedure, and afterwards...but nothing until after 7pm when Roger woke me up and made me get up to move around a bit and eat something. I hadn't actually eaten anything the entire day, and for the most part all day Wednesday.

The doctor talked to my mom and Roger, because I was in no state to remember much (obviously) and told them that I do have a Hiatal or Hiatus Hernia, which was causing my upper G.I. issues, but they also found two polyps in my colon as well. He removed them, and sent them for testing (biopsy) and I'm to call back in about 5 days to make sure they weren't dangerous. I will have to do this every 5 years or so, to keep up on them, and to make sure I stay clean (ugh!). It's genetic, and if I have them, it's likely that others in my family do too...So, minor lecture *gets on her soapbox*: Get tested! It's a horrible experience, and I'm dreading having to do it again in 5 years..but it sure beats the alternative! *gets off her soapbox*

I'm so glad that I now have a reason for my problems, and with medication, it can be controlled. Hopefully the biopsy results are negative, and I'll be able to rest peacefully again (I hope!). I'm sorry I've been so distant..but I've been dealing with a lot on my mind, and I just don't like to sit and do this when I'm like that, because I ramble and don't feel better afterwards. When I get to this type of mind frame, writing about it actually makes me feel better.

On a different note, me and my family went to Turner Falls for the weekend of Father's day, and we had a lot of fun. If you want to see pics, look at my Myspace page's albums: Turner Falls 2009 (<--dunno if that link works, but I'll try it) We got some good ones!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home