Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Whew..

You ever feel like your aura/chi/soul has been tainted by something? Well, I did. It started affecting me, making me moody and depressed. So, I decided to meditate, go inward, and slowly squeeze that "taint" out. I pushed it out of the light amber colored protection around myself (thanks D, for the amber suggestion), and continued to push it out of the darker amber colored protections around my apartment. I felt better almost instantly, and have been feeling better since.
I had my first BLT today, and it was good! I don't like tomatoes, but oddly enough the combo works out to taste really good. I also didn't used to like dill pickles either..but for some reason I've been having cravings for them. Strange...how your taste buds change.

I haven't had much to blog about recently, so I haven't even tried. ::shrugs:: I've been playing the Resident Evil games on Playstation and Gamecube, and reading a lot lately.

Last month, I started with reading Kelly Armstrong's first "Women of the Otherworld" series, Bitten. It was all right, but could have been better. My biggest problem with mankind is that they feel like they have to lie to get through life. Well, cheating is a close second, because it is made up of nothing but hurt and lies. I had problems with the moral fiber of the main character, and her ability to cheat on her boyfriend, that she supposedly loves, and not feel guilty. It bothered me every time the author went into a sex scene, because none of them involved the main's boyfriend. There are seven, almost eight, in that series, and hopefully they get better, since every other one or so is about a different main character.

Then I read Dean Koontz's Whispers this month. It was good, but not one of my DK favorites. Watchers and The Vision were probably two of my favorites with Strangers and Hideaway close behind.


Finally, I started Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series sometime last week. I zipped through the first two (Dead Witch Walking and The Good, the Bad, and the Undead) in less than a week, and I am already halfway through the third (Every Which Way but Dead). I am really enjoying her writing style. The editors aren't that great...quite a few typos - the wrong words, spelled correctly so a spell checker wouldn't catch them, are used and then the sentence or paragraph doesn’t make any sense; however, the main character is likeable and the plot addictive. She reminds me of early Anita Blake (as in Guilty Pleasures), before the sex took over. I love one of the secondary main characters who is a pixy named Jenks. He had me rolling by the third book. The scene with a very famous and popular warlock rock star named Takata made me want to wet my panties. It started with:
" 'Holy crap!' the pixy exclaimed. 'You're Takata! I thought Rachel was pissing on my daisies about knowing you. Sweet mother of Tink!' "
He forgot his name when Takata was signing an autograph for him, and then just started making a choked gurgling sound afterwards. Rachel, narrating, said:
"There was another choked gurgle from Jenks. I wondered if he would recover enough to make more than that ugly sound."
Then Takata got around to asking Rachel for her services and told her about who referred him to her. Once she finally understood who it was, Takata said:
"He grinned. 'You do know him.' He glanced at Jenks, quivering and unable to open his mouth. 'I thought he was pissing in my daisies.' "
The fourth book is titled A Fistful of Charms and the fifth is For a Few Demons More. If you haven't read them, and you enjoyed early Anita, I suggest you try them out. I'll update again once I've read the other two and the short story in the book Dates from Hell, about the third secondary main character named Ivy.

Hope you all are healthy and doing well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dawn Allenbach said...

You should try Patricia Briggs's books Moon Called and Blood Bound, in that order. She's better than Kim Harrison, in my opinion.

Have you read DK's Frankenstein books? I read the first one (my first DK in a looooooong time), and I liked it a lot.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Okay, I'll check her out then. I'll add her to the list of books I look for at our used book store. Thank You, I could always use good authors to check out. ;o)

No, I haven't. I'll have to look for them too.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Dawn Allenbach said...

Oh, and incidentally, you're wecome for the recommendation. It was just something that occurred to me, so I'm glad it was a useful suggestion.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Patricia Briggs is spectacular. I have a long list of stuff authors like that if either of you want suggestions.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home